Baptist Church began as Grace Chapel on Sunday, December 9, 1951. Two dozen
people, united by a common love for the Lord Jesus Christ, had left a variety of
denominations to form a congregation dedicated to the defense of biblical
Christianity, the preaching of God's Word and the spread of the gospel. God
blessed the prayerfulness and faithfulness of that small band of believers, and
within a year's time Grace Chapel was holding services in a building constructed
at our present location at North and Orange Streets.
early years God caused the small church to prosper through solid leadership and
exposure to Reformed and Puritan literature. A growing awareness of, and love
for, the doctrines of God's grace in salvation led the assembly to embrace the
London Confession of Faith of 1689 as its doctrinal foundation. During the same
year, 1959, the name of the church was changed to Grace Baptist Church.
God has remained faithful to Grace Baptist Church through the years, enabling us
to build upon a Christ-centered foundation and to find practical expression for
our Christian testimony. In 1968
Grace Baptist Christian School opened and has
been used of God to educate many young people. Meeting in the Grace Baptist
Church facility, the school is governed by a Board comprised mostly of members
of the church and provides a God-centered education in a traditional classroom
context. The school (grades K-8) is taught by a faculty of eight full-time and
four part-time Christian teachers and has an enrollment of over 125 students
from the greater Carlisle area. For over three decades annual family conferences
sponsored by the church each summer have benefited Baptists with Reformed
convictions. Most recently we have contributed to the birth of the Association
of Reformed Baptist Churches of America, reflecting our commitment to send the
gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the earth.
For the past half century of our existence as a church, the Lord has blessed us
with faithful ministers. Our beloved pastor Walt Chantry, who began his
labors amongst us during his years as a student at Dickinson college, upon
graduating from Westminster Seminary was ordained and in 1963 began his long and
fruitful pastoral ministry at Grace Baptist Church. In June of 2002 he
retired only to find that his gifts and talents would be needed for the church
at large. In October of 2002 Walt accepted the position as editor of the
British based magazine The Banner of Truth and continued in this ministry for
seven years. Walt and Joie now reside in
We look to the
future with hope and expectation, knowing that "unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the
watchman keeps awake in vain." (Psalm 127:1).
|A history of Grace Baptist
Church entitled Reflections on Grace is available from the church
Book Room for $10.00. This includes postage and handling.
Checks should be made out to Grace Baptist Church Outreach Account.